Μετάβαση στο κύριο περιεχόμενο

! # Ola via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader

Phenotypic Spectrum of Children with Nephronophthisis and Related Ciliopathies

Background and objectives

Genetic heterogeneity and phenotypic variability are major challenges in familial nephronophthisis and related ciliopathies. To date, mutations in 20 different genes (NPHP1 to -20) have been identified causing either isolated kidney disease or complex multiorgan disorders. In this study, we provide a comprehensive and detailed characterization of 152 children with a special focus on extrarenal organ involvement and the long-term development of ESRD.

Design, setting, participants, & measurements

We established an online-based registry (www.nephreg.de) to assess the clinical course of patients with nephronophthisis and related ciliopathies on a yearly base. Cross-sectional and longitudinal data were collected. Mean observation time was 7.5±6.1 years.

Results

In total, 51% of the children presented with isolated nephronophthisis, whereas the other 49% exhibited related ciliopathies. Monogenetic defects were identified in 97 of 152 patients, 89 affecting NPHP genes. Eight patients carried mutations in other genes related to cystic kidney diseases. A homozygous NPHP1 deletion was, by far, the most frequent genetic defect (n=60). We observed a high prevalence of extrarenal manifestations (23% [14 of 60] for the NPHP1 group and 66% [61 of 92] for children without NPHP1). A homozygous NPHP1 deletion not only led to juvenile nephronophthisis but also was able to present as a predominantly neurologic phenotype. However, irrespective of the initial clinical presentation, the kidney function of all patients carrying NPHP1 mutations declined rapidly between the ages of 8 and 16 years, with ESRD at a mean age of 11.4±2.4 years. In contrast within the non-NPHP1 group, there was no uniform pattern regarding the development of ESRD comprising patients with early onset and others preserving normal kidney function until adulthood.

Conclusions

Mutations in NPHP genes cause a wide range of ciliopathies with multiorgan involvement and different clinical outcomes.



from ! Medicine by Alexandros G. Sfakianakis via a.lsfakia on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2j3k605
via IFTTT

Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις από αυτό το ιστολόγιο

Does CBD Oil Lower Blood Pressure?

Does CBD Oil Lower Blood Pressure?This article was originally published at SundayScaries."
Madeline TaylorPOSTED ONJanuary 13, 2019 High blood pressure is a serious condition that currently affects thousands of adults in America. Statistics show that 33% of adults who are above the age of 20 struggle with high blood pressure and that figure reaches a whopping 66% for those in their mid-60 and over. It goes without saying that high blood pressure is becoming a nasty rising trend, which is only going to worsen if changes to the system aren't made. While there is already a substantial amount of research into hypertension, a succinct cure is yet to be found. And, thanks to the rise of natural medicines, including medical marijuana, many people now suspect that cannabis-based products could provide the answers we have been looking for with regards to lowering blood pressure in modern society.Hypertension doesn't immediately strike us as a fatal condition when you compare it to a…

Accessory Auricles: Systematic Review of Definition, Associated Conditions, and Recommendations for Clinical Practice

Abstract Accessory auricles are rare congenital abnormalities embryologically derived from the first branchial arch. Presentation may be variable with locations grouped into anatomical zones based on the frequency of location found in the literature. This study reviewed the papers between 1981 and 2017. Findings included an association with syndromes including Goldenhar, VACTERL, Treacher–Collins, Townes–Brocks, and Wolf–Hirschhorn. Based on histological and embryological evidence, the term "accessory auricle" is best used as an umbrella term to define this difference. Finally, indications are provided for imaging and laboratory investigations to guide the physician treating patients with accessory auricles. Address correspondence and reprint requests to Mark S. Lloyd, MPhil, FRCS(Plast), Department of Plastic Surgery, Autologous Ear Reconstruction Service, Birmingham Children's and Women's Hospital NHS Trust, 4th Floor, Ladywood House, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham B4…

Efficacy and Tolerability of CyberKnife Stereotactic Robotic Radiotherapy for Primary or Secondary Orbital Lesions: A Single-Center Retrospective Experience

Technology in Cancer Research &Treatment, Volume 18, Issue , January 2019.


from A via a.sfakia on Inoreader http://bit.ly/2Qfe0Ek